Let’s face it. If your child is a gymnast you know: this sport is EXPENSIVE! Add in travel meets when your child hits optionals and wow! The expense skyrockets! I was so excited this year when I discovered Travel Hacking! I set a goal to fly for almost FREE this gymnastics meet season, and next season too! In the end, we will have purchased 10 Southwest airline tickets for $112.50 in taxes! (Plus 2 credit card annual fees of $158). That is 10 Southwest tickets valued at $2000 for a total of the price of 1! ($270.50 total)
Here is how:
- First open a Southwest Rapids Rewards business card at my link for a bonus offer of 60,000 points after you spend $3000 (you do not have to have a business! You can be a sole proprietor, just use your name as business name)
- 30 days later apply for a Southwest Rapids Rewards personal card (40,000 points after you spend $1000 and 35,000 additional points when you have spent $5000).
- Put the minimum spend on the cards within the time span
- Total spend = $8000 on credit cards (in 6 months, see if you can put gymnastics tuition and meet fees on the cards!)
- 142,000 in points to spend and the free companion pass!
- Receive the required 125,000 points in 1 year to receive your companion pass! One person flies with you free for the remainder of the year and next year! AND you can use those 142,000 points to book your tickets!
- When you do book your flights, remember to stalk the website as it is easy to get points refunded it the price goes down! (Future blog post on how to do this)
In summary, you will:
- Spend $158 in annual credit card fees
- Put $8000 on 2 credit cards in 6 months
- Receive 142,0000 points good for approximately 6 round trip tickets
- Times TWO with the companion pass!
- That is TWELVE round trip tickets for $158 plus taxes!
Leave me a comment if you have any questions or if you were also successful in flying for almost free this season!